Tec Trimix 65
Tec Trimix 65 Course Outline
The Tec65Trimix course introduces Tec50 / Extended Range divers to the first stages of full technical trimix decompression diving. Certified Tec Trimix 65 divers are qualified to make multigas decompression dives using normoxic (>18%) trimix, EANx and oxygen with up to two gases for accelerated decompression.
The Tec Trimix 65 diver comes to the course with a strong knowledge and skill base. The Tec Trimix 65 course extends these, expanding existing skills and developing new strategies for overcoming oxygen and nitrogen gas limitations for deep decompression diving.
Perfect for -
- Technical divers seeking extended bottom time up to 65m
- Unlimited accelerated decompression, >100% O2
- Reducing or eliminating the issue of narcosis on deep dives.
Tec65 Course Content -
- Knowledge Development and exam
- Practical Applications
- 8x Open Water Dives (4+ cylinders)
Tec65 Prerequisites -
- Tec50Diver, or equivalent (extended range)
- 100 Logged Dives
- 18 years or over
5 days minimum* with classroom, practical workshops and 8 dives
Day 1 – Classroom theory, equipment workshop and practical applications
Day 2 – Skills training dives 1 – 2
Day 3 - Classroom theory, practical application and technical dives 3 -4
Day 4 – Classroom theory, practical application and technical dives 5 -6
Day 5- Classroom theory, practical application and technical dives 7 -8
*A 6-7 day program is recommended if you prefer a more relaxed training program or more time to refine skills.
Pre-study of course materials/completion of knowledge reviews can shorten the course duration. This is highly recommended. You may obtain your own copy of the TecRec ‘Tech Trimix’ manual in advance.
The course is performance based, not time based. Performance requirements for each section must be satisfied to allow progression and certification.
Tec65 Equipment Requirements -
- Double cylinders of at least 12 l/70 cf each, with isolator manifold.
- The isolator manifold is not required for divers using sidemount configuration.
- Primary and secondary regulators for back mounted double manifolds, one with two metre/seven foot hose for air sharing and one with SPG. Note: In sidemount configuration, one regulator must have the two metre/seven foot hose, and both regulators must have an SPG.
- 2x Stage/decompression cylinders with regulator and SPG, with proper labels/markings.
- Tec diving BCD(s) and harness (backmount or sidemount)
- Two multigas enriched air capable dive computers, or one multigas enriched
- air computer and a back up single gas computer with dive tables, or one single gas enriched air computer and a backup timer and depth gauge with dive tables.
- Exposure suit appropriate for environment and dive duration
- Weight system (if needed). Note: Students and staff should weight for the contingency of decompressing with near-empty primary cylinders and empty or absent stage/deco cylinders.
- Jon line (as needed for environment)
- Inflatable signal tube, whistle and/or other visual and audible surface signaling devices. Note that a sausage type DSMB may double for the inflatable signal tube.
- Reel and lift bag (bright yellow preferred) or DSMB. A suitable DSMB has sufficient buoyancy to help steady a diver during a drifting decompression, and is unlikely to spill when deployed from the underwater.
- Knife/cutting device and back up
- Slate or Wetnotes
- Back up mask (optional)
- Lights (optional – as required for dive environment)
- Backup buoyancy control – the student must have a reliable means for controlling buoyancy and maintaining decompression stops in mid-water with a failed primary BCD. This is usually accomplished with a backup BCD (double wings)
Assessment of Technical Dive Training Readiness
In preparation for the course and before beginning open water dive training, there will be an informal assessment of the potential student’s skills and comfort level in water, along with a general assessment dive knowledge. If the potential student appears to lack dive readiness appropriate for the training level, remedial training will be offered before training progresses.
Contact me to discuss your training requirements.