How to Tie a Regulator Bungee Necklace
Technical, sidemount and hogarthian configuration scuba divers utilize a regulator bungee necklace for stowage of the short hose backup. These regulator bungee necklaces are available for purchase in many scuba shops.
The manufactured ones are made of rubber, costs are relatively high and there is no option for adjustment. For that reason, many divers seek a DIY option – to make their own necklace.
A commercially manufactured regulator necklace.
For many years, DIY regulator bungee necklaces were made by simply:
- Measuring a length of bungee to go around the neck
- Tying a knot in each end
- Securing those ends to the regulator mouthpiece using a zip tie.
However, this meant that the regulator could not be easily detached from the necklace.
Non-breakaway regulator bungee attachment – not suitable for sidemount
In sidemount diving, particularly, some divers prefer a ‘break-away’ restraint on the bungee necklace. Unlike backmounted configurations, the short-hose is not merely a backup. It is used throughout the dive for cylinder balancing.
A DIY break-away regulator bungee necklace – suitable for sidemount
How to Tie a Regulator Bungee Necklace – Instructions
Here is how to tie a regulator bungee necklace. This method allows the regulator to be pulled free upon demand:
Regulator Bungee Necklace – Materials:
- Approx 2ft of standard 3mm bungee (length to suit neck size and individual’s preference on where the regulator will hang).
- Scissors or sharp knife
Regulator Bungee Necklace – Technique:
- Size the length of the bungee required, to ensure the regulator hangs at an optimal distance below your chin.
- Hold the bungee with an end in each hand, the left hand furthest from your body.
- Pass the left end under your forefinger and wrap it around the finger and other ends (right hand) twice.
- Remove the left forefinger from the loop and pass the left end through the loop (left-to-right).
- Tighten as necessary and avoid leaving a large excess of bungee beyond the knot.
- Repeat process on the other (right-hand) side, allowing 2″ between knots for the space that will hold your regulator mouthpiece.
- Place regulator mouthpiece inside the loop that is created. Then try it on for size.
- Re-adjust by sliding the knots, if necessary, to alter the size.
- Once satisfied, trim excess bungee and seal the ends by melting with a lighter.
That may sound complicated. But, you are simply tying a Double Fisherman’s Bend (aka Grapevine Bend) on either end of the bungee.
Regulator Bungee Necklace – Illustrative video:
Currently residing in Subic Bay, Philippines; he has amassed more than 10,000 open-circuit and CCR dives over three decades of challenging diving across the globe.
Andy has published numerous diving magazine articles and designed advanced certification courses for several dive training agencies, He regularly tests and reviews new dive gear for scuba equipment manufacturers. Andy is currently writing a series of advanced diving books and creating a range of tech diving clothing and accessories.
Prior to becoming a professional technical diving educator in 2006, Andy was a commissioned officer in the Royal Air Force and has served in Iraq, Afghanistan, Belize, and Cyprus.
In 2023, Andy was named in the “Who’s Who of Sidemount” list by GUE InDepth Magazine.
Originally posted 2018-11-05 06:10:43.