Independent Technical Diving Instructor
- RAID -Deco50, Sidemount and Advanced Wreck Instructor
- ANDI – Advanced Sidemount Overhead & Technical Wreck Instructor
- PADI – Tec Trimix, Tec Sidemount, Technical Wreck and MSDT Instructor
- SSI – Advanced Instructor
- BSAC – Nationally Qualified Instructor
I first learned to dive with BSAC at college, before getting PADI certified in 1996. I have since logged over 9000 dives, including RAID, PADI, SSI, BSAC and ANDI instructor courses. I have been a full-time technical diving instructor since 2007.
Initially training and diving in England and Northern Scotland, I gained extensive cold-water, low visibility, drysuit diving experience – primarily diving shipwrecks around the UK coastline.
My wider experience includes diving in Cyprus, the Maldives, Oman, Ascension Island, United Arab Emirates, Thailand, Vietnam, Belize, Spain, Egypt, Israel, Malaysia, Singapore, Borneo (Sabah) and the Philippines.
I am an avid sidemount technical wreck diver and have taken part in technical wreck exploration expeditions around Asia.
With over 3000 significant decompression dives and 3500+ technical wreck penetration dives, I have gained a strong foundation in the skills, knowledge and experience needed to operate in this demanding environment. I have also benefited immensely from training and diving with some of the most widely recognized wreck and technical divers in the world. I love to teach and help other divers develop their knowledge and experience.
- Since 2010, I have written a popular scuba diving blog, producing quality articles about scuba training, technical decompression diving issues and diving equipment.
- I have written numerous magazine articles on the subject of scuba diving, published in many countries globally.
- I have authored and assisted with authoring specialist technical diving courses for several diving agencies.
- I am a consultant for several major diving equipment manufacturers, providing expert testing, evaluation and feedback on products.
- I am involved with supporting the Philippine Underwater Archaeological Society (PUWAS) in historical wreck identification and the provision of specialist training courses.
- I have appeared on Perfect Dives website, ABS-CBN and GMA TV as a leading diver in the Philippines.
- I have worked as a technical diving instructor and dive centre manager in Thailand, Malaysia and the Philippines – as well as teaching scuba divers in UK military clubs.
- I have taken part in numerous wreck and remote area diving expeditions.
With over 1000 student diver certifications, mostly at technical, overhead and sidemount levels, I have gained a huge breadth of experience teaching divers of all nationalities and levels of ability.
I am a published author, with one fiction novel available in paperback and electronic formats globally. I am currently working on several non-fiction books about sidemount, wreck and technical diving.
My other hobby is underwater photography and I have had several photographs published in UK diving magazine – ‘Sport Diver‘. I am also a contributing photographer to Nudi-Pixel, where photographs from my 3-year nudibranch survey in Subic Bay can be seen.
Prior to working in the scuba industry, I served for 8 years as a commissioned officer in the Royal Air Force and 4 years as a trooper in the Territorial (reserve) Army in a special-roled recce/recon unit. My military career included service in Afghanistan (2001), Iraq and Qatar (2003) and Oman (with 3 Commando Brigade), as well as work in Belize assisting the government with the development of their national hurricane disaster plan.
My final 3 years of service were spent as a CIMIC team cadre officer/operator in a civil-affairs role. I was an attached trainer with the Operational Training Advisory Group (OPTAG) for the 3Para pre-deployment training on the first deployment to Helmand Province, Afghanistan.
I have also worked as a civilian military contractor in Afghanistan (2010).
RAID Instructor Qualifications:
Technical Qualifications: OC Deco40 Trimix, OC Deco50 Trimix (Deco60 pending)
Wreck Qualifications: Basic Wreck, Advanced Wreck (Technical Wreck pending)
Sidemount Qualifications: Sidemount (rec and technical)
Other Qualifications: Advanced35, Deep40 (recreational deep trimix), Drysuit.
PADI Instructor Qualifications:
Technical Qualifications: Tec40 (intro-tec), Tec45 (full decompression), Tec50 (extended range), Tec65 (normoxic trimix), Tec90 (full trimix), Tec Gas Blender (EANx and Trimix)
Wreck Qualifications: Wreck Diver, Technical Wreck Diver.
Sidemount Qualifications: Sidemount Diver, Tec Sidemount Diver.
Technical-Related Qualifications: Drysuit Diver, DSMB Diver, DPV Diver.
Other Qualifications: Enriched Air Diver, Deep Diver, Peak Performance Buoyancy, Project Aware, Coral Reef Conservation, Equipment Specialist, Night Diver, Underwater Videographer, Dry Suit, Underwater Navigator, Digital Underwater Photography, Drift, Multilevel Diver, Search & Recovery, Boat.
ANDI Instructor Qualifications:
Technical Qualifications: Sidemount, Technical Wreck, Advanced Sidemount Overhead
Wreck Qualifications: Level 2 Wreck Diver, Technical Wreck Diver.
Sidemount Qualifications: Sidemount Diver, Advanced Sidemount Overhead Diver.
Other Qualifications: Limited Safe Air User, Complete Safe Air User.
Other SCUBA-Related Qualifications:
- TDI Advanced Nitrox – w/ Mark Powell
- TecRec Tech Deep – w/ Jamie McCloud
- ANDI Sidemount Technical Wreck – w/ Bruce Konefe
- RAID Technical Instructor Course – w/Glenn Campbell
- Emergency First Response Instructor, including Care for Children w/AED
- International Certificate of Competence: Small Vessels
- RYA Level 2 Powerboat
- RYA Competent Crew (Sail)
- BSAC Boat Handler
- BSAC O2 Administrator
- BSAC Lifesaver
- IART JJ-CCR Diver
- BA (Hons) Politics and History
- Chartered Management Institute (CMI) – Associate
- Chartered Institute of Personnel Development (CIPD) – Licentiate
- PRINCE 2 Project Management Practitioner
- Royal Air Force College Cranwell – Initial Officer Training Course
- RAF Administrative Secretarial Officers Course
- RAF Recruiting Managers Course
- Defence College Shrivenham – Junior Officer Command Course
- Defence College Shrivenham – Intermediate Command and Staff
- RAF Police – Security Management Course
- Joint Service – Computer Information Systems Security (CIMsy) Managers Course
- Mine Action Training Centre – Landmine Awareness Advisor
- JCG Civil-Military Co-operation (Civil Affairs) Operators Course
- United Nations (UNHCR) – SPHERE project training
Non-Diving Coaching and Instructing Qualifications:
- British Association of Fitness Instructors (BAFI) – Diploma in Exercise Performance
- British Association of Fitness Instructors (BAFI) -Diploma in Fitness Teaching Skills
- British Association of Fitness Instructors (BAFI)- Fitness Instructor Certificate
- 3 Dan Jiu-Jitsu Instructor
- Registered UK Sports Coach
- MMA Referee (BAMMA Class 1)
- MMA Official/Judge (UFC 38 Head Adjudicator)
- UK Enhanced Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) clearance.
See also my in-depth interview about my history and experience as a technical diving instructor.