RAID Sidemount Course
About the RAID sidemount course
The RAID Sidemount course reflects a reputation for excellence and expertise.
During this very comprehensive course, Andy Davis teaches how to effectively configure and operate sidemount equipment for superior performance.
It stresses the development of high attention to detail, situational awareness, ingrained fundamental skills and expert equipment familiarity. This exclusive training course includes a variety of contingency protocols, culminating in challenging emergency scenario training.
The practical aspect course consists of a comprehensive full-day equipment workshop, confined water skills development and 4 training dives (6+ total hours in water). It is suitable for both recreational and technical divers.
What are the sidemount course prerequisites?
- Minimum 15 years old.
- Certified RAID Open Water20 or equivalent.
- Register for FREE at www.diveraid.com
Why choose the RAID sidemount course?
The RAID Sidemount course, taught by Andy Davis, delivers a wealth of instructor experience and expertise that will get you diving sidemount with world-class proficiency right from the start.
The aim of this course is to provide students with the knowledge, equipment and gas selection, mindset and procedures to empower a very high degree of safety on the most challenging deep no-stop dives.
Ten reasons to choose this sidemount course:
- World renown, pioneering technical sidemount instructor
- Over a decade of EXPERIENCE, exclusively in sidemount, trimix & overhead diving
- Delivers a PROVEN system that gets IMMEDIATE student results
- Full equipment workshop – learn the principles of how it SHOULD work
- NO COMPROMISES on quality: ample in-water time for practice
- High emphasis on developing buoyancy, trim, control and propulsion skills
- Challenging drills to increase your familiarity, confidence and competency
- Promotes self-reliant, proficient and comfortable diving
- All skills and dives in neutral buoyancy, horizontal trim (no kneeling!)
- Effective preparation for sidemount technical and overhead environment diving
Further information on the sidemount course
What is the RAID sidemount course syllabus?
RAID online eLearning and instructor-delivered academic presentations, quizzes, exams and practical skills covering the following topics in detail;
- The history and development of sidemount diving
- Reasons for sidemount diving
- Sidemount diving equipment configuration
- Assembling your sidemount harness
- Rigging your sidemount cylinders and regulators
- Rigging stages and deco cylinders for sidemount *technical diver students
- Sidemount accessories
- Planning procedures for sidemount diving
- Sidemount gas management
What is the sidemount course schedule?
The Sidemount course is made up of 1x Equipment Workshop, 1x Fundamentals Skills Clinic and 2x Open Water dives;
- Day #1
- Equipment Workshop, Theory and Dry Skills
- Theory – history of sidemount diving development and principles of sidemount.
- Full Equipment Workshop: set up and configure fully optimized sidemount equipment.
- Dry Skills – Regulator switching, gas sharing, equipment donning.
- Day #2
- Confined Water Fundamentals
- Skills include; don/doff equipment, precision buoyancy, horizontal trim, control and propulsion techniques (frog, modified flutter, helicopter turn and back kick), s-drills, long hose air-sharing, remove/replace cylinders underwater, freeflow regulator and LPI, feather breathing, failed bungee and cylinder bolt-snap, use of sidemount pocket, buddy breathing and *use of stage/deco cylinders (*for qualified technical divers).
- Confined Water Fundamentals
- Day #3
- Dive 1 – Contingency sidemount skills practice
- Dive 2 – Emergency scenario training
Every dive includes precision buoyancy and trim standards, descent checks (bubble check and s-drill), gas management (SAC), ascent and stop protocols and DSMB deployment.
All skills developed during this program apply cumulatively; so the skills learned on the first dive will be applied on each successive dive. A high standard of mastery is applied throughout the entire program and certification is entirely performance-based.
How much does the sidemount course cost?
4 Days $600
The stated cost includes all tuition and instruction from Andy Davis
- Max 3 per course
- Scheduled courses will be run even if just one student
- Discounts available for group booking
- Private lessons are available at a 50% surcharge
- Courses can be scheduled to meet your requirements
- 25% non-refundable deposit to confirm attendance on the course
Tech Supplement: +$200 per day. Additional days of training to cover the configuration protocols and use of sidemount stage/decompression cylinders. This training is suitable for qualified technical divers only.
Sidemount Fast-Track: $350. Condensed course (2 days). Suitable for more skilled divers with exemplary fundamental skills.
Tuition Cost excludes course registration fees, as per the RAID website, course facility fees covering tank rentals, nitrox/trimix fills and boat costs as required. Instructor expenses – split between students.